Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing you

  • Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing yourself instead of taking photos of me.

Saturday, December 8, 2007

lack of seamanship

It was cold all week, but today was in the low 40's with patches of sun. The dreaded engine worked well, and I sailed Segue to Execution light and back. When I was under way I noticed that my port life line was sagging. I hove to, put my harness on and went forward to investigate. Saw that someone hit me again! Only this time they didn't leave me a note. This time the damage was to the forward port stanchion, and the bow pulpit! I tied the life lines off to the jib block to put tension back in them. I just ordered another new stanchion from west marine. I'm going to have to remove, and re-bed the bow pulpit. The port rear base of the pulpit was moving around. Once I remove it I can see how much glass work I'll need to do. I am really becoming disappointed by the lack of seamanship I have noticed the last few years.

On my way back I saw Garry heading out on "Winds of Change". It's nice to see another Alberg design out on the bay. I don't think I'd like a new boat. I'd be too paranoid that some one would smack into me again. I mean it's like hitting a parked car! Of course I've hit stuff too. When I was young and indestructible. It's just that I took responsibility for my actions. I guess people don't do that anymore.

No comments: