Saturday, December 8, 2007

lack of seamanship

It was cold all week, but today was in the low 40's with patches of sun. The dreaded engine worked well, and I sailed Segue to Execution light and back. When I was under way I noticed that my port life line was sagging. I hove to, put my harness on and went forward to investigate. Saw that someone hit me again! Only this time they didn't leave me a note. This time the damage was to the forward port stanchion, and the bow pulpit! I tied the life lines off to the jib block to put tension back in them. I just ordered another new stanchion from west marine. I'm going to have to remove, and re-bed the bow pulpit. The port rear base of the pulpit was moving around. Once I remove it I can see how much glass work I'll need to do. I am really becoming disappointed by the lack of seamanship I have noticed the last few years.

On my way back I saw Garry heading out on "Winds of Change". It's nice to see another Alberg design out on the bay. I don't think I'd like a new boat. I'd be too paranoid that some one would smack into me again. I mean it's like hitting a parked car! Of course I've hit stuff too. When I was young and indestructible. It's just that I took responsibility for my actions. I guess people don't do that anymore.

No comments: