Sunday, April 27, 2008

Why do I find the ocean so rewarding?

Why do I find the ocean so rewarding? I've been pretty lucky. The last two weekends I've been fortunate enough to sail Gilgo. The wind has had a lot of east in it. Last Sunday was fully powered side off 6.0 and the 109 ltr JP. It was hero sailing, a great confidence builder. The waves were small knee to hip high, and very clean.
Yesterday; Saturday; we had similar conditions. The 6.0 was not quite enough power on the inside as I would have liked: but enough to plane, out past the breakers.The waves were however, waist to head high. And If you have ever schlogged into a head high wave...you would swear it was logo high. I tried to rig my 6.5 Ezzy Freeride, for a little more power, but it didn't work very well. The extra power did not make up for the lack of maneuverability. So I switched back to the 6.0. Schlogged out through the breakers, did my chicken jybe, and enjoyed my pretty close to DTL rides back in.

I know if I had gone to Heckschere, I would have been fully powered on a smaller sail but...

I don't know, I just feel great about both, less than perfect sessions. Maybe it's the crew? Maybe it's that we don't get sailable side shore all that often? It's probably just the ocean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do I find the ocean so rewarding? It provides a deep connection to the soul in a way that an enclosed body of water cannot. There is also an element of challenge and surprise, you never know when a sea monster, kraken, seal or turtle may pop it's head out of the water! Oops....I did see a turtle pop its head out of the water at Hecksher about 10 years ago....nevermind!

Ely

PeconicPuffin said...

I feel the same way, Frank. The ocean makes me feel new to the sport...every second is exciting...every success seems so much more significant. I'll trade an hour in good ocean conditions for a day in good bay conditions any time (and I love good bay conditions!)

Off to the ocean right now...

-Michael