Monday, March 2, 2009

I woke this morning to 16 inches of snow. Spring may be around the corner, but winter Wants to make sure that I still respect her.

My timing was a little off this weekend. Saturday I took Segue out for a sail, [That's the third week in a row]. I expected a dieing Northerly, and that's just what I got. On my way out I cleared Plum Point with a 70% jib and a double reef in the main.

I went exploring around Hart and City Island. There where allot of boats still out on moorings there [curious]. After a few hours, the gusty breeze moderated. I shook out the reefs, and rolled out the jib to 135%. The angle of attack was perfect. Segue was fully powered up on a beam to broad reach, surfing the swell on her stern quarter. Her Speedo was reading 6.1 knots, but GPS had us at 7.0.
That's important because Segue has a displacement hull. She does not plane; so is bound by her Theoretical Maximum Hull Speed = 1.34 * LWL1/2 .
Segue's LWL is 19.5. But when she is heeled, her overhangs stretch her to a little over 20 feet, making her Maximum Hull Speed probably under 6.5 knots. That means that while she was moving through the water at a speed of 6 knots, she was also surfing the moving swell, bringing her total speed over ground of 7 knots! How cool is that?

Sunday, we waited around all day for this Nor Easter to materialize. We kept ourselves busy posting vintage windsurfing photos of ourselves at LIWindfuring. I probably should have gone surfing. From what I hear it was perfect clean longboard waves. But I Waited for the Mysto to make an appearance at CIB. I'm sure it did last night at about one in the morning. But I was sound asleep;
and it was snowing like hell.
Oh well... it's supposed to be in the 60's this weekend.


No comments: