Sunday, February 28, 2010

Horsley To Host Rally To Save Our Parks.
So I went to the rally. I did not see any other windsurfers. (I'm a little disappointed by that). I understand most of the Heckscher crew is in Bonaire. But not all.
Lots of lifeguards, fishermen, State Park Police, soccer groups,
equestrians, philharmonic lovers, bikers, runners, a few surfers,
several 4x4 groups , and locals who just love the open space .

LIBAG had a nice tent set up and about 20 guys.

At least 10 politicians made speeches. As did the Leaders of many of
the groups in attendance as well.

I learned an important lesson today. Don't accept an invitation to any of these political rallies or events without a guarantee of stage time.

The fishermen , soccer Moms, and lifeguards earned political clout
today. Surfing was not even mentioned.

It also seemed to me that the politicians were pandering to the local Heckscher crowd.

I think Surfrider made the best choice on this one. We would have needed at least 20 people in Surfrider gear to have been noticed.

So, do we just leave this alone? Or actively inform the politico's
that if they want our support: we need more lead time?

It seems like we were an afterthought to Horsley.

It also seems that most windsurfers and surfers don't really think we have an access problem.

For many; it is comfortable to remain under the radar. For me; I no longer want to break the law, just to go surfing or windsurfing.

I fear it will take an "incident"
In order to get more surfers involved.

I'm tired. I just want to concentrate on getting healthy and strong again.
Next time you get kicked off a beach...you're on your own

No comments: