Sunday, May 2, 2010

Did I do this?


I was on my mooring yesterday, doing some work on Segue. It was warm and sunny; so I took my shirt off. And somebody mentioned it to the Yacht Club Stewart. Now I make it a point to not go shirtless when I am at the dock, or in the club. It is out of respect for anyone who might be offended, or who might be entertaining business guests. But I was out on my mooring. I just don't get it.

Four or five years ago, I attended the Commissioning for the North Shore Yacht club.
http://www.nsyc.net/
It was a sweltering 90 degree day. And so I wore shorts, a short sleeve silk Hawaiian dress shirt, and topsiders with no socks. Now I'm not saying that this is my fault...it's just that since that day, the club has added a "dress code" for Commissioning.

From the invitation: "
On behalf of the Bridge, the Entertainment Committee cordially invites you to attend our 140th Commissioning,... The dress code for the day is sports jackets and slacks for men (ties optional). Women are requested to wear skirts, dresses or dress pants. Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip-flop sandals and such are inappropriate...
Last year’s Commissioning was a great success despite some rain. Let’s make our 140th Commissioning even better and pray for sunny skies!"

it's only sailing. I guess I'll miss this years Commissioning; Just as I have for the last few years.
I hope that it's nice and windy for you all, when you get to play "Dress Up".
I guess I'll have to find something else to do.

2 comments:

McPhilly said...

LOL, at least they didn't write "Last year’s Commissioning was a great success despite some rain, and a certain members' indecorous attire.

Hmmm. They don't get you hardcore year-round sailors, methinks.

Anonymous said...

Yep. They even stopped running the launch this weekend. It was too windy!