Monday, April 4, 2011

2011 Windsurfing Magazine Freeride Tests

Well, I made it through the week. I had my doubts, and nearly canceled my trip; but I am so glad I didn't.
While there was no way I could keep up with the younger, healthier guys...I did my part; and tested as many boards as I could. Ten in all. Some of the veteran testers, and more aerobically inclined where able to test more. But I just couldn't make a judgement in 15 minutes.I needed at least an hour. In some cases more. I was able to tell what I liked, or disliked about the classic 110 ltr Freeride boards almost immediately.

But it took me a half hour in some cases just to learn how to sail the wide, Formula style derivatives the manufacturers had to offer.  It's been a long time since I sailed a two foot dagger fin, and had my footstraps on the rail.

The early part of the week was cold, wet, and off shore, with a frustrating wind shadow; perfect for testing all the light air boards. And the later half was windy 5.5 for me onshore conditions; perfect for testing the smaller volume, Freeride, and Slalom boards.


I could not asked for a better group of sailors to hang out and sail with, [except my local crew of course], and I could not have asked for a better place to heal up from winter.

For more see http://windsurfingmag.com/

Thank you to everyone!

No comments: