Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing you

  • Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing yourself instead of taking photos of me.

Monday, April 4, 2011

2011 Windsurfing Magazine Freeride Tests

Well, I made it through the week. I had my doubts, and nearly canceled my trip; but I am so glad I didn't.
While there was no way I could keep up with the younger, healthier guys...I did my part; and tested as many boards as I could. Ten in all. Some of the veteran testers, and more aerobically inclined where able to test more. But I just couldn't make a judgement in 15 minutes.I needed at least an hour. In some cases more. I was able to tell what I liked, or disliked about the classic 110 ltr Freeride boards almost immediately.

But it took me a half hour in some cases just to learn how to sail the wide, Formula style derivatives the manufacturers had to offer.  It's been a long time since I sailed a two foot dagger fin, and had my footstraps on the rail.

The early part of the week was cold, wet, and off shore, with a frustrating wind shadow; perfect for testing all the light air boards. And the later half was windy 5.5 for me onshore conditions; perfect for testing the smaller volume, Freeride, and Slalom boards.


I could not asked for a better group of sailors to hang out and sail with, [except my local crew of course], and I could not have asked for a better place to heal up from winter.

For more see http://windsurfingmag.com/

Thank you to everyone!

No comments: