Saturday, December 22, 2007

Merry Christmas everyone

Santa brought me a new 07' JP 109 Freestyle Wave this year. [closeout at Isthmuss Sailboards!] The idea is to have a board I can sail out to Demo that stays in control when it's overpowered, and still has enough volume to get me back home when the wind shuts down. It's interesting [to me anyway] that I have been gravitating towards larger boards in the last few years.

For years it seemed like windsurfing became this competition to see who could be out on the smallest board given any set of conditions. Circa 2001 my board quiver was a
-70 ltr glass Gorge Custom, used with a 4.0, 4.5, or 5.0 sails
-85 ltr Naish 8'5" used with, 5.0, 5.5, & 6.0
-103 ltr Naish 8'11", used with, 6.0, 6.6, & 7.5

Now this is dramatically different from what I am sailing today.
-90 ltr Mistral Syncro, 4.2, 4.7, 5.0
-109 ltr JP FSW, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5
-125 ltr Angullo Sumo, 6.5, 7.2, 8.5

A large part of this change to 'bigger' volume boards is because I routinely weigh over 200 lbs now. Vs. 160 to 170 when I was in my 30's. Plus, the newer shapes are shorter, wider, and have thiner rails than boards from 5 years ago. The rails are softer, and the rocker lines are more refined. Now sailing is less about overpowered straight line speed on a large fin. In fact, where as 5-10 years ago I would almost always have my foot straps in the farthest rear position, I now use one of the forward and inboard options.

I think I'm just adjusting my equipment to my less athletic sailing sailing style. All that pumping on to a plane takes it's toll on my shoulders. And let's face it; these newer boards are looser, and easier in the carves. I can't wait to go out and get the new JP dialed in. It should be interesting; especially because I've lost 20 pounds down to 190, to whatever this bug was I had. Believe me, I'll be back over 200 in no time.

No comments: