Saturday, August 9, 2008

Summer squall sailing


I was so lucky this winter and spring. We had great conditions for windsurfing, I was healthy, and I had a flexible work schedule for the first time in my life. I've been commuting into NYC since 1984.

The city is like a big battery; at first I got a charge out of working in Manhattan. But that changed for me... after 911, the City started to drain me. LL and I swore we would try to find work no more than ten minutes drive from each other. This goal was proving difficult. 2007/08 was when it all finally fell into place. We had great conditions; and I had the time and ability to take advantage of it. It was truly magic.

But it's August now. And that seems so long ago. The beaches are crowded. Most of our wind is coming from unstable air masses, and thunder storms. So while windsurfing in zero to thirty knot winds is not exactly epic...sailing in the same conditions, can be great. You get a lot of practice reefing; and reading the weather, and wind as it circulates around the thunderheads. Just pay attention!

I need to thank Gary Cohen once again for capturing those magic moments in his viewfinder.


2 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

Looks like a great day! Meanwhile we may get some storm action on Thursday...perhaps a day to play hooky?

Anonymous said...

12kite.com
still nice in Hatteras, and a grate wave comp cumming up