Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing you

  • Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing yourself instead of taking photos of me.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Long lunch

I took a long lunch yesterday. From 12:30 to about 9:30. Lauralee and I could not decide if we wanted to battle the Friday traffic to the beach or just take Segue for a spin. Segue won.

We had, un-forecasted [ the Weather Channel, iwindsurf, or windfinder all missed it] wind from the West North West. This frontal passage has been difficult to track and predict for the weather forecasters I generally trust. While they were correct about Tuesday's wind at Heckscher and the Great South Bay; They totally missed the wind and size of the surf we had at Democrat Point. Mike Burns [ http://purewindsurfing.blogspot.com/ ] has been hitting the mid afternoon thermals at Heckscher all week. I think the biggest sail he has rigged in two weeks has probably been a 5. something. My usual on site reporter K-dog, has taken on an RJ [Real Job]; temporarily, at least, with the US Census.

Any way, it was way windier than expected. We spent most of the afternoon with one reef in the Main, and 100-120% in the jib. Even though that sounds like good windsurfing wind; it was awfully gusty, and wasn't filling in by the shore. The land was causing any on shore breezes to lift. So we stayed with the sailboat. Later on when I checked my BB at about 10PM, I saw that both Rich and Dommer had called looking to see what I was up to. {sorry I missed your calls guys}. From what I understand Rich S., Bayville Joe, Pete R., and Brewster, all had a good evening sail. I assume that as the land cooled, it allowed the breeze to fill in closer to shore.

Anyway LL and I sailed back to our fleet about 5. The breeze at the dock was pretty light, but really shifty. So we used the opportunity to sail to the dock. It took a try or two to get our communication skills in sync. [I'm getting way to used to sailing alone] But, we managed a nice soft landing. I spent most of the evening up the mast changing out the topping lift shackle. That damn thing has been such a pain in the ass this season. I also lubricated the mast sheaves; they and the topping lift did not like taking the salt water bath from last weeks squall. Paul Meilink Was a great help to me; sending tools I had left in the cabin to me via messenger line. He saved me a lot of climbing; which is very helpful since my left hand is still pretty messed up. [Anybody know a good massage therapist?]

Once I was done with that; I cleaned the water line, and did my best to scrub the bottom. I am trying to avoid hauling the boat this season. But she hasn't been out of the water since last October 09'. And that was only for a week.So I am sure I am not keeping up with any bottom growth. I'm thinking I will beach her at the Club when the weather gets a little cooler.

I had to stop working at dusk as the Skeeters were eating me alive. This means I still have to get a coat of wax on that waterline. Now that she is all white from the acidic fiberglass stain remover; the pores on the hull at the waterline are all open and exposed, until I can fill them with wax. If I don't wax it soon, the hull will be just as dirty as is was before I cleaned it.

Well I hope the weather is nice wherever you are. Looks like a beach day today.

No comments: