Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing you

  • Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing yourself instead of taking photos of me.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dear Mike, of the Peconic Puffin,


Dear Mike, of the Peconic Puffin,

As always, you have instigated a flood of memories. After years of longboards my first "shortboard" was a Hi Tech 9'8". I had been borrowing my friends Mistral "Tarifa", but that was still over 10 feet long. I had seen real shortboards [sinkers, we called them] but the light winds of Manhasset Bay made them impractical. "How can they sail upwind with out a dagger board?"

My eyes were opened my first trip to Napeague. While I sailed on a Mistral Equipe, and a borrowed 4.5; I saw custom shortboards with Captain America graphics plaining and carving full speed jybes! I had to have one.

For Mike, I have added a Napeague circa 1988 shot, "the year of the pinhead". I am in the middle. Note that my boom is at least one foot too long for my sail.

5 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

(sorry for the late response)

When we met I believe you were planing around on an Equipe...it was some long elegant Mistral with what seemed like a ton of technology on the deck (ie beating straps and the adjustable mast track). It was still the first jibe I ever saw!

Napeague in the early days...must have been great.

drysuit2 said...

For Mike, I have added a Napeague circa 1988 shot, "the year of the pinhead". I am in the middle. Note that my boom is at least one foot too long for my sail.

PeconicPuffin said...

I still see that boom arrangement from time to time!

Love the old sails...da colors. Where can I get an orange harness, I wonder?

Anonymous said...

Awesome pic, Frank! Love it!

Ely

drysuit2 said...

The photo is Lauralee's handiwork