Saturday, January 24, 2009

How cold is too cold?











Both photos from yesterday, courtesy of Steve Domjan. Thank you Steve!

I missed all the ice sailing last week. It was cold enough, and those that hit the ice, said it was great. Ronkonkoma, as well as Bellport were sailable. Work, and the weather, kept me from any ice time. I did make a new set of blades though... My old set had about 8 inches of running surface. The new ones have about 12. I'll use them someday.

The ice really wasn't my friend this week. My way home from work found me stopping by Segue several times. While I would be chopping the ice that threatened to close her in... I would also be wishing that the ice out east was hard, thick and clean.

Yesterday, we had a nice warm and sunny day. Segue is free, in clean open water.
Today, we had a cold front zip in. The sun rose to 40 degrees, and 25 knots. As the day progressed, the mercury fell.

It is Saturday, so I was able to catch a nice session at CIB. I sailed a 5.0, and the JP 109 for roughly two hours. I'm glad I did. But I almost didn't. I had a hard time keeping my head clear. I was thinking too much. Did I make a big mistake at work? Should I have handled
it differently? Is it too cold to sail? The temperature was 39 when I left the house; but now it's reading 33. Should I throw my self into this gybe? What if I fall in? The window on my sail looks funny; is it going to shatter from the cold?

Finaly, Rich talked me into sailing. "Your already here". And Pete helped me to stop thinking. "If you have to think about jybing, youv'e already missed it". My hands were a little cold. But there is nothing like a good soft water session to set everything right. For awhile anyway...

CIB usualy isn't good on a North Westerly; today it was perfect. Nicely powered from the beach, with hip to shoulder high swell. Yes!

Of course, after a few hours, I worried that the ice on my Ezzy was going to break the window, or my knee that's been aching all week. So I called it quits. And by the way, what's that funny rash on my belly? Did I remember to rinse my rash guard last time? When is the last time I changed the oil on the truck?

No comments: