Thursday, July 30, 2009

“I am a terrible crew”

“I am a terrible crew”, “I am the last person you want on your boat”… “But you’re a good sailor” she said. “That’s why I’m the last person you want on your crew” “You don’t want someone like me. You want a team player, someone who follows directions; someone who is content tending the sheets”…

I usually don’t hang out at the club. But on Sunday a squall blew in just as I arrived to go sailing. So I sat on the deck and watched it go by before I went sailing.
All the racers had just come in. Some were soaking wet from the downpour; some had been in a while and were sharing in their post race glory. “How’d ja’ do today?”

First came the introductions…”What’s your name? and what kind of a boat do you sail? How long have you been a member?” He said. “I’m the Bla Bla Committee Chairman, and I don’t recall seeing you at any of our functions? You missed quite a party last weekend; you missed the Karaoke contest!” “And you missed logo high, side off surf” I muttered under my breath.

I really didn’t pay much attention for the next few minutes. My blackberry was vibrating wind alerts, and I was trying to decide whether to stay and sail here; or drive to Gilgo and go windsurfing. My eyes refocused from BB to world. “Oh come on Frank, it’s fun! “She said. “I’m sure it can be. But you really don’t want me as crew.” " Why?" She asked. . “Cause I’m not dependable. If it’s hot and fickle; I won’t show up. If it’s windy: I won’t show up. Rather be windsurfing. I just can’t commit the time necessary to be a good crew.” She persisted, “ But we have such fun, And you don’t have to sail by yourself.” “But I like to sail on my own” It’s sort’a why I sail in the first place. To get away…to lose myself.

I used to race. I was OK at it. I know what it takes. I just don't have it. I’m just not interested.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. I'm a former boat sailor turned windsurfer, too!

Ely

drysuit2 said...

Hey Ely,

Thanks for stopping by.