Sunday, February 14, 2010

Not a bad weekend so far. Sailed Segue Saturday afternoon. But I was cold. First time I've felt that way this year. Broke the top sail slide at the head of the main.
I replaced it with one from the old one. The shape of the "new" sails from 2005 are better. But the craftsmanship is just so much better on the 25 year old set.

I must give Mustang, thanks for the push today. . Wish I could have sailed with you earlier. Upwind Mike and I sailed a good two hours. We used a 6.0 & 5.7. Swell filled in for a while. Nice clean waist high. A good first day back for me, right until I nailed a sand bar on my way in at the end of the day. Doesn't look like I did too much damage. I ground down some hairline cracks at the fin screw connection. I didn't see any discernable buckling on the bottom. But we will see...I have been looking for a replacement of my well loved 2007 JP 109. It is my most favorite I have ever had. It's not that old: but I use it a lot. I beat the crap out of it, and has been showing its signs of age. This is just one more reminder that she won't last forever.

It has been a frustrating search. The newer boards in that volume 109 ltrs; don't seem to have enough rocker for me. The rails are too sharp,and they seem to be designed for early planing. Not dropping into a logo high face. What I love about the board is that the volume gets me safely home when the wind dies, but she sails like a smaller wave board. I use it 5.0 to 6.0. But it handles a 4.5 or 6.5 just as well.
It is a great board for Democrat Point, and gusty conditions. Of course I switch down to my 90 ltr when the wind is strong and steady. But the JP made me sail better in less than perfect conditions and isn't that what we sail the most?

No comments: