Saturday, March 6, 2010

Will things ever change?

Last week I attended a "political Rally" orchestrated by a State Legislator. The Rally left me feeling cold, and used. I attended, because several of the organizations I belong to were "personaly" "invited" to show "Albany" that they should not close our state parks. The rally was billed as 'Save Heckscher State Park'.

As I have had a chance to process the experience this week, I think I understand it a little better. I still feel used. And I guess that's why I'll never be the politician my father was. That's just the way it works. Someone from the Parks System actually put together one of those mobile stages. None of the three groups that I belong to had any 'stage time'. No Windsurfers, no Surfers, no Fishermen. At least LIBAG, the Long Island Beach Access Group, had a tent set up. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who felt used by this Assemblyman. When I asked about 'stage time' in one of the fishing forums; the leaders of the Fishing Lobby groups went ballistic! "How dare I question their judgment.' But I understand. They felt cheated too. We all thought we were attending a Rally to keep OUR State Parks open.

Albany is in such disarray right now. Legislators are fighting for their political lives. Bureaucrats have no idea if their positions will even exist. While I may relish the thought that Public Sector guys are finally feeling the same job insecurity the rest of us private sector guys have lived with for years...It means we HAVE to be Politically active right now.

It is a great time for us. Why? Because all the "old guard alliances" are being called into question. This means that players in "Albany" will be willing to listen to our story. They may not support us; but might actually take our meeting. Whereas in the past they would have just dismissed us.

We need to get our message out to as many as we can.

Long Island's outer beaches are the exclusive playground of Fishermen.
YOU and I ARE NOT ALLOWED.

This DISCRIMINATORY practice IS SUPPORTED, ENDORSED, and ENFORCED BY by New York State.

Nobody has any idea who will be in charge, or who will have the power when the dust settles. If Patterson resigns, and Ravitch becomes Governor NYS will have had three Governors in one term.

This could very well be our "foot in the door"; Olive Branches for all!

No comments: