Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing you

  • Above photo taken by Steve Domjan at the Bowl. Thank you Steve, you could have been sailing yourself instead of taking photos of me.

Sunday, May 9, 2010


It was just that kind of week. I tried to leave work early four times this week and catch a sail.

The first time I arrived at Stehle to a dieing Westerly. Pete R. had rigged; but never even bothered to put on his wetsuit.

In my second attempt to leave at three; I was greeted by sand blasting across the road at CIB. A good sign for Centre Island Beach. By the time I was rigged and on the water; I was barely able to plane. But it was 7PM and I wasn't going to re-rig, and hump my gear back and forth through the tunnel. So I just sorta schlogged about waiting for the occasional gust.

On my third attempt; Wedensday. A graceful exit was not to be had. This time I left work at 6. Picked up a cold 12 pack of Bud light for Matt Myron and the MICA crew. And frantically rigged a 6.0, and my RRD 110. The wind Thursday was gusty in Manhasset Bay to say the least. But at least I got wet. Something I would never have accomplished if I was still working in the City. To top things off, at 3:57 I get an e-mail from my Regional Complex Manager, "I need to talk to you for 5 minutes tomorrow morning" I think I got about an hour of sleep that night.

Thursday morning, I am up at 5. Turns out I have to move to a new office this weekend; and I'm getting a new CA [Client Associate]. We used to call them Sales Assistants. Then; You see, now that we have effectively dismantled the NYSE, super fast computers do most of the actual trading. So if someone puts through a sell order for 9 Billion of something instead of 9 Million... there is no human Specialist on the floor to say "hey wait a minute". And so we tryed to do damage control during a 1,000 point drop in the DOW.The good news was I did leave the office around 5.
As I am crawling through traffic at 10-15 MPH, I wave a small gray sedan in front of me. No sooner than I am behind him, and he hits his breaks hard. I did too. But not fast enough. He calls in his entourage, and the Police. I'm glad the Police came. It felt like I was about to get my ass kicked by half his family and friends. I spoke to his Father; [who arrived on the scene in like 2 minutes]. Apparently this is the third time he been hit from behind in the last six months. If you manage to get rear ended 3 times in 6 months...I'm sorry you are just plain, doing something wrong. Especially, because my truck has absolutely NO DAMAGE! But his tail light, bumper, and trunk are destroyed? I wish I had seen the car before I hit it. There is no possible way I could have done all that at 10 MPH. Check my GPS. After all that I turned around, and just went to the gym.

Friday, my current CA doesn't show up for work. I spend the day fielding calls to explain that it is not the Apocalypse. Leave at 3; and have a wonderful sail with Lauralee on Segue.

Saturday; I tryed to sail at TOBAY, [Town Of Oyster Bay Beach]. The shore break is VAS, [Victory At Sea]. Much better sailors than I are getting pounded. I sit on the beach getting sand blasted for awhile. I just can't do it. I already have two broken boards in my basement waiting for repair. I just can't afford another one right now. I migh as well have just stood in the shore break and tossed $1,000 bills into the ocean.
Dommer and I bail. I shoulda' listened to the Squidman, and gone to CIB first. Pleanty of swell in the middle and no killer shore break. Just what I needed. Rigged a 4.7, my smallest weed fin, and the 90ltr Syncro. Phil took some nice shots.[see above]. I can't believe I missed CK.

Maybe some more today; with Joe. I got a TXT from Lenny at 6AM he was already out on a 4.0 again!

Happy Mother's Day everyone.

No comments: