Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back to the Future

I guess I'm going to to just have to break down and buy a new camera. My Cell Phone pics are piss poor, the new cameras are just better, and I am beginning to think that my best chance of finding a compatible cord will be at a Garage Sale. "How much for the cable Granny?"

I did find an old Polaroid while in my search. I read that they are making film for them again. Is it a quest for a simpler time? The search for a non-Photoshop-able format? Or just a retro aesthetic, like Steampunk? Kodak stopped making Kodachrome. Did they stop making Ectachrome as well? Remember contact sheets? Time spent in the "Dark Room", burning and dodging; double exposures? And "Slide Shows"...

I guess the modern blog has replaced the Slide Show. I miss the social aspect of the slide show. [Granted, some of them were the most boring, inane hours of my life.] "Here's another one of Uncle Ted in front of the statue of liberty". I suppose I'm doing the same thing right now. Only you have the choice to skip ahead. So let's break out the folding chairs, dim the lights, have a Fanta, or RC Cola; munch on some Jiffy Pop: the Pigs in Blankets, Tuna Melts, and Fondue will be ready in a minute.

I've been feeling old and insecure lately. So maybe I've just been clinging to to the sights and sounds of my childhood looking for comfort.
My ipod has not played a song recorded since 1979 in months.
Segue, a 1985 Cape Dory, is purposefully maintained to appear as she did in 1985. [No modern looking hardware or sails allowed!]. And I really want to trade her in for a wooden Catboat , or Doughdish. I want something trailerable; beachable, with a centerboard: something I don't have to pay $5,000 a year just to keep it; something I can store and work on in my garage. Wooden watercraft have a soul; Fiberglass does not.Don't get me wrong! I love my Cape Dory, it is probably one of the best cruising boats for a couple ever made. But I never sleep on her. I am purely a day sailor. A light wind day sailor at that. If it's windy; I'd rather be Windsurfing.

I have this compulsion to put wood paneling on the side of my van. I've always loved woody's.

I am also in the market for a 1970's era longboard windsurfer.
And I am thinking of building [as if I actually have the time] a hollow wood longboard. Do I buy the whole kit with material? Like Grain http://www.grainsurfboards.com/ or CLC http://www.clcboats.com/ ? Or do I just buy the frames http://fiberglasssupply.com/ ? I don't know.

And how would I have the time any way? I still have not finished the teak on Segue for this season; and I still have 5 more board repairs to finish.

2 comments:

McPhilly said...

Drove past a house the other day and there were cars lined up, and a slide show going on. (Hopefully for good reasons.) Whatever it attracted a crowd.

So let 'er rip with the slide show -- oh yes, doesn;t that require slide film ... ach the complexity!

Go Pro HD cam seems to be the state of the art pro-sumer thingy.

I like stills though, video is, well video — nice but, it's not often definitive the way still photos are -- go figure!

drysuit2 said...

Maybe it is time to pull out the old 35mm SLR? I think Ilford still makes B&W film. Someone must have old darkroom equipment they are trying to unload.