Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Time to steal a boat

I'm up early today. I thought I could pull off a dawn patrol before work. But my body says no. So here I am.

My friend Ted sent me this video clip


You may have to cut and paste the link bellow.

http://www.windsport.com/videos_display/video:2231/Wake-Sailing-the-Gorge

This summer we have had an unusual weather pattern, in that it has been windy in the middle of the western portion of the sound. As apposed to our "normal weather pattern where you get thermal wind in the Great South Bay. Specifically Heckscher.

So I have been talking about stealing, [really finding " someone with a power boat willing to take us out to the mid sound during one of these thermals; and then pick us up maybe two hours later.

The problem is [as always] that the wind in the bay is much lighter. So you need a big board and big sail to get out there. But once you are out there you wish you were on a 5.5 and a 100 ltr wave board. What I have been doing is rigging a 6.9 and a 125 ltr board and a small fin. This way the slog out is not so bad. But it IS bad! and then out-hauling and down-hauling the heck out of my 6.9; and riding overpowered out in the sound.

In the "old days" we didn't have this problem. First off because it was always winder on the South Shore. And secondly; because we always had some way to access the sound. Unfortunately the overbuilding of Mc-Mansions has privatized our access. When there were only a few "old money" waterfront residents on Sands point, they never hassled us. In fact one nice little old lady used to bring us lemonade when we were through. "you boys must be thirsty after all that 'what is called?' Windsurfing"

As the shoreline was invaded by the new heavily leveraged rich, All our access points were choked off. These new residents called the cops at the first sign of us approaching. The Police were real cool about it at first. But they eventually had to succumb to the homeowners paying their salary.

I am trying to work out something with Matt Myron, and the
Port Water Taxi
But still haven't worked out the kinks, or the price. Meanwhile Matt has been nice enough to let me launch from his dock at MICA. It's still a terrible slog, but at least I'm Windsurfing.

Wow it's 7:30. I've been messing around for 1 1/2 hours; I better get to work. Maybe tonight? If the wind holds.

1 comment:

McPhilly said...

Great video clip,

that was ridiculous! Tow-in no-wind freestyle. What a hoot!

loved the tune, too.