Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More narcissistic behavior.

Last week I read a WSJ article that Government research concluded; people who keep public Blogs, or social network pages like Facebook are narcissistic.

DUH! How many of my tax dollars did it take for you to figure that out? I keep a public diary. Isn't this supposed to be under lock and key? Hidden under my mattress. What the hell are you all doing in my bedroom anyway?

Back to the matter at hand. Bragging and public complaining.

On Saturday October 9th I did indeed clean the bottom of my boat,[and my father's before me];Segue. A light putty knife, and scotchbrite pad were all I really needed.
The new ablative paint I have been using the last few years works very well. I wore a pair of prescription swim goggles and my Boogie Board fins. So lord knows what toxins I ingested in my little exercise.
The thing is. I used to be able to just beach her at high tide; wipe her down; and roll on a new fresh layer of bottom paint at low tide. Than I would just float her back to her mooring at high tide again. This saves me about $750 a season in crane time, hauling, bottom paint, and labor cost. Mind you, I still have her professionally hauled out every two years or so; but I just did that last October 2009. Why am I bothering you with this? Well other than the fact that I pride myself on being self sufficient...my Yacht Club changed the rules on me mid season.

With out any warning, announcement or vote; and even though it clearly states in this seasons 2010 roster that I can "lose my reservation to beach my boat if I am not ready at the beaching area at least 1/2 hour before high tide"; someone decided I can no longer avail myself of this privilege. Hell, the right to beach my boat, and do my own work was one of the reasons I chose this Club in the first place. The North Shore Yacht Club is one of long island sounds oldest continuing Yacht clubs. It has always been the more inexpensive alternative to the grander Clubs on Manhassett Bay. A "real Sailors club"; no swimming pool or bar tab here. Just the way I like it. Or liked it. Our shoreline is becoming infested with McMansions, every season more boat yards get pushed out of business, and even the grand Knickerbocker Yacht Club went belly up this year. And so it seems that yet again, I have become the grumpy old man longing for the "old Days", when seamanship mattered; not the size of your wallet.

Part Two: The good part.
On Sunday Lauralee and I at the urging of Peconic Jeff or peconicwindsurfer
took a road trip to Tiana. It is hard to believe that after 25 years of windsurfing on Long Island, I've never been there before. It is simply one of the most beautiful places on the island. It produces a easy clean wave, close to shore; and is sailable in just about every wind direction. And of course; just plain surfable. It was one of my most special windsurfing days in a long time. I met up with Jeff,[of course] it was his post that pushed me to drive out there in the first place. I sailed with Great Lakes Ted, Sasha & Christina from the regular crew. But also John Ford of Hamptons Windsurfing, and Michael Alex, whom I had not really sailed with in 15+ years. He posted our exploits on his now famous Peconic Puffin.

Thank guys

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the "do it yourself " approach to bottom painting Frank. way to save yourself some serious $$
K dog

drysuit2 said...

Most boat yards won't let you paint your own bottom any more. [It's all about the money.] They site all kinds of environmental laws.
But those laws apply to the removal and disposal of the older truly toxic bottom paints. Many contained biocides, antibiotics, selenium, or other heavy metals, like copper.

I've been using water based ablatives for eight years now. less toxic; less mess; no drying agents, like acetone; and $750 cheaper!

That's a new board right there!
BECAUSE THE GUY WHO RUNS MY BOAT YARD KNOWS I USED TO WORK IN BOATYARDS. MOST OF MY LIFE, IN FACT. HE USED TO LET ME PAINT MY OWN BOTTOM. [DURING MY NORMAL BI-ANNUAL HAUL. BUT SOMEONE COMPLAINED THAT IF I COULD PAINT MY BOTTOM...THEN WHY COULDN'T HE...SO THE GIG WAS UP. I still have to pay for it to be "professionally" done at least every two years. I suppose I could become licensed by the state. From what I understand it is pretty expensive ~$2400/year. Yet the guy who actually does clean and paint my boat probably has less experience than I do.