Saturday, October 9, 2010


What is left of the beach at The Old Coast Guard Station.



No great pictures, nothing spectacular to report. Work has been a bitch lately. That along with the fact that the sun is setting early and earlier, has put a crimp in my late shift sessions.

Since my “incident” with the NYS Parks Police at RM3, I’ve been able to secure a Surfing Permit for fields 3,4, and this year field 2. This is important because RM2 is closing soon due to budget cuts; and it is a long walk to Demo from field 5. I couldn’t get the State to agree to extent the permit through April 15. That bothers me; we are allowed to surf Demo from Jan 1 to April 15; no one uses those lots that time of year; but we can’t park there because the fisherman will be pissed! Well I’m a fisherman; and I have no problem.

Enough negative vibes! Although I missed some great days recently…I’ve enjoyed some great sailing and surfing as well. I hope you have been able to take advantage of this great Fall season. I’ve been reading and hearing about some truly great days.

Personally:

9/19 After making the best of a sunny slow day; I managed a little Segue time from 5-8 PM.

9/21 Another after work sail from 4-7. The forecasters totally missed this one. I could have been on a 6.0 easily.

9/24 A really warm evening sail on Segue.

9/25 I did two beach clean ups. RM2 in the morning; The Old Coast Guard Station in the afternoon. I was especially disturbed by how many hypodermic needles we found that afternoon; at least 50.

9/26 Surfed a dawn patrol with Brook and Mustang. Then I came home and went sailing with Lauralee all afternoon.

10/2 Sailed West Meadow Dawn Patrol with some Kiters. The wind was light, and I actually rigged my 8.5. Came home and sailed Segue with the wife.

10/3 Nice NE day at Crab Meadow. 6.3 and the 110. Mostly it was great to have such a great crew out there. I haven’t sailed with Chuck in ages, and it is always a treat to sail with Phil.

10/4 Monday night; Pete, Dommer and I had a great NE Mysto session at CIB. Pete was a little jaded since this was like his 5th day sailing in a row, and he had sailed the ocean that morning. But I count it as one of my top ten CIB days. Fully powered 5.5 on the 110 RRD. Waist to head high swell; back side on Starboard, but DTL on Port.\

9/8 Last night I had a great nighttime sail on Seque. It was blowing 10-15 out of the WNW, and the visibility was good. Sailed from 6 till 9:30. Took me three attempts to hit my mooring. My depth perception is not what it once was in the dark. Plus the lights from shore kept obscuring my pick up buoy; even with a glow stick tied to it.

Well, I’m off to clean my waterline…Hope you all have a great weekend.

Oh and Columbus didn’t discover America; but that is not going to stop me from taking the day off.

1 comment:

PeconicPuffin said...

Great sailing and seeing you and Lauralee on Sunday! FYI:
http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2010/10/the-legend-of-frank-and-lauralee.html