Sunday, April 17, 2011

Long day

 Photo's by Steve Domjan
Long day yesterday. I was up at six to get ready for LIBAG’s grass planting with www.savethebeaches.net . they are just another one of the fine organizations that help to stabilize the dunes, and take care of our south shore beaches.
http://libeach.blogspot.com/2011/04/2011-beach-grass-planting.html


While I was there I couldn’t help but notice we were getting sandblasted from the wind at Gilgo. There were a couple of kiters out, but the waves were just relentless, with no space in between them. It did not look fun. And I did not want to sail alone.

I grabbed a quick breakfast, since all I had eaten was a yogurt and a protein shake.
My phone was buzzing incessantly, ”the Bowl, you have to get to the Bowl, it’s going off”. I usually don’t travel out to the east end to windsurf. You can get stuck in killer traffic. But as I was already halfway there…and I knew that a bunch of my western LI guys were out there…I took the plunge.

Wow, it was so worth it. Take a look at Domjan’s Flicker page. Pay special attention to Jeffs Back Loop at the end!
Does Steve do anything poorly? Great Family Man [ his kids actually like to hang out with him], great Bass player in a band, great photographer, great sailor & Waterman. Sounds like a man crush? Nope he’s just a great friend.

I arrived about 2:30 so a lot of the guys were packing up from sailing all morning.  Scott Y, and I arrived about the same time, so I knew I would have someone to sail with.
Pecconic Jeff Schults was still going strong throwing back loops as he had since that morning. I saw a lot of folks I had not sailed with since the 80’s at Napeague. They had definitely acquired  the necessary skill set for these conditions.

I was out of my league. But I was able to sail none the less. Of course My two hour sail consisted of one or two runs out and back, followed by 5 minutes of standing on the beach trying to catch my breath. For my first real ocean session of the season, I had a great time and didn’t get into trouble. But the talent pool out there makes me realize how far I still have to go. I didn’t feel 100%. But then it occurred to me…,maybe this is my 100% .

Thanks to Mike & Jeff for sounding the alarm, and inviting us all out. And thanks to Steve for taking great photographs, and documenting the day.

6 comments:

McPhilly said...

Great stuff — impressive size on those waves.

Wish I could be out there with you guys, but the neck is a long, long, way from being ready to even hold a sail in a 10 mph breeze on a lake.

drysuit2 said...

We miss you Big Time!

Jeff, aka Peconic Jeff said...

Frank, it was great to sail with you yesterday, we scored big time!! And thanks for all your efforts with LIBAG and savethebeaches.net

PeconicPuffin said...

Good work with the beach planting! And I'm glad you made it to the Bowl...I'm only sorry I was packing up when you did. Jeff warned against sailing too early ("you'll tire out and miss the good stuff") I surely tired out but didn't miss the good stuff...just some of the good guys!!

Plan to come again the next time conditions line up. You're two for two between Tiana and the Bowl.

TonyWind said...

And all this in a drysuit! Great post!

McPhilly said...

Cheers old bean, sounds like that session had a life of its own.