Friday, October 29, 2010

What a Fall

As seems to happen every year: The weekend of October 15, 16 & 17 was such a great sailing weekend, [see last weeks post] [or last years] that they canceled/postponed the Manhasset Bay Fall Series again, because it was too windy. That's right folks. Million dollar racing sailboats, it seems, are incapable of sailing when there is actually wind. Well I'm glad the wind finally calmed down enough for them to hold some races by spreading the event over two weekends.

In other news: last Friday was an outstanding West Meadow day again. I was able to sail my 90 ltr Syncro, and 5.0 all afternoon. Though I probably should have been on my 4.7. I aggravated my tendinitis to such an extent, that I had to get another cortisone shot. so you guys will have to windsurf with out me this weekend. I'll be out on Segue.

Lastly; the Fall Bass run is moving West.

So the Fishermen have set up their "Beachfront Condo's" at Demo.

Remember, they have the exclusive right to drive on the NYS Parks beaches. The State of NY does NOT issue a 4X4 outer Beaches permit. They issue a 4X4 FISHING Permit. Everything else is prohibited via 4X4. [surfing, sunbathing, camping, swimming etc.]



So I figured I would show some action shots of these hearty fishermen in action.




Wait a second; no one is fishing. And why do you need a five ton truck to cart your fishing gear? Surfers have to carry their boards that same mile and a half stretch each way to reach that same section of beach?  Why are the "Soccer Mom's" and other user groups... people who are not 100% fishermen prohibited from using these beaches? I couldn't possibly carry all my windsurfing gear a mile and a half each way. It's a good thing I can sail there via the Fire Island Inlet.

Something smells fishy here.

Dear NYS Parks Department
We are not simply looking for surfing access. We are attempting to right a wrong. The State of NY has created a special class of beach user with the exclusive right to access certain choice beaches. Beaches the general public are prohibited from using. And that is against the very charter of the State, and the very reason NYS Parks System exists in the first place.
The whole idea of the NYS Parks System was to create access to nature for everyone. Not just the special people; but EVERYONE.

WE the PEOPLE: NOT just a SELECT FEW.

Yours truly,

The citizens of NYS

3 comments:

Maui Surfer said...

RIGHT ON!!! We are behind you 100%. It's bullshit politics as usual on NY beaches. I used to carry my surfboard all the way down while the fisherman drove on by. I've been harassed by cops and fisherman and have stayed out on the water until they went home so that I wouldn't be arrested or fined!!! Now we live in Hawaii and don't have these issues anymore. Good luck; we wish you every success in fighting these bastards and correcting this wrong.

Anonymous said...

You're saying you can't take your truck down there, kids,and gear in tow? But these fat slobs can go camping there all day? Man I'd leave NY!

drysuit2 said...

Thinking about it. Till then...I just have to fight the fight.