Sunday, February 8, 2009

Open Ice


I tried to take Segue out for a sail yesterday. Her hull is totally free from ice. Her engine started up on the second pull. So while the water around the docks of Gulfway Marine are flowing freely, there is still an ice bottleneck at Sheet Creek's narrowest point. As I was removing the cover over the cockpit, Gary C. came by. He wanted to go out as well, but his Commander; Winds of Change only has his small two point something outboard. My Merc is a nine horse two stroke. I was glad to have the company of another competent Alberg sailor. Gary worked the bow with a boat hook, as we attempted to break through the ice.


Like a mini Shackleton, we could not get through it. The ice was maybe three inches thick, and spanned the 70 foot creek, shore to shore. Open water was literally 100 feet away. It was clear we would not be sailing.


Today I am headed to CIB. It is supposed to hit 50 degrees this afternoon, so I wont have to worry about icing. Also the North Westerly is expected to be 15 to 25; perfect for windsurfing. Segue will have to wait.

No comments: