Saturday, August 22, 2009

2nd Friday




This is the second Friday that I have sailed with Kevin, only to be interrupted by thunderstorms.

Last time we sailed from Tanner. Just as I made it to the flats, a large anvil appeared. the wind switched from SW 15-20 to NW 5-6. So we slogged back to the beach for an hour.

Yesterday, I could barely work. Giddy with excitement on Bill's impending arrival. Low tide was 3pm at Fire Island inlet. We figured we would have slack till 4. The plan was to launch from Oak Beach. More than enough time to reach Demo before she switched to incoming.

We were a little off. I rigged a 6.0 and the JP 109. If we faced current, I knew I needed the extra power. I was fine sailing on Port, parallel to the shore. But when I switched to Starboard, to cross the inlet to Demo, the current dragged me back to the East. I could see it...super long pealing Lefts, but I never made it.

Just as I was about to clear the inlet from Sore Thumb, I was treated to a darkened wall. It's over. The wind switched from SE to NW and basically died. So I slogged the incoming current back to the Thumb. Hitched a ride to my truck to pack it in. Kevin ended up at Overlook with Dommer, Scott Jeff, Florian, and Joe.

Now it was 7ish and the tide was rising. The State Parks closed all the 4X4 beaches and were closing all of RM, and Jones. Thank God for the Town of Babylon. We went to Gilgo. The sky was dark, but the clouds were back lit with an orange, red glow. All the lifeguard stands were moved behind the dunes. A sand pile was bulldozed in front of the Tunnel. High tide was not until 9 and the big set's were already reaching the dunes.

I was too exhausted to even attempt to surf. If I had...I would have just taken out the boogie board. But it was great to watch; it was big. Plenty of double overhead sets barreling. Even more, crushing their riders in punishing close outs. Now the sun was a hazy red globe, setting behind another wall of thunderheads. The high clouds were lit from bellow. Purple, red, yellow... I called Lauralee on the cell. "look out the window; are you seeing this?, I wish you were here, It's like the hand of God just reaching down to remind us he still here."

No comments: