Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I watched Spider-man two the other night

I watched Spider-man two the other night. How come when Peter Parker or Bruce Banner are exposed to some sort of radio active isotope they become super heroes? But me; no such luck. Make me drink some Barium… inject me with some radio active agent for contrast, and I spend the next three days in more pain, more dehydrated, and in more intestinal distress than I was in before. It hardly seems fair; couldn’t I get just one superpower? I mean other than the ability to eject food from my body with ballistic force.

It's frustrating: I was finally making some progress. I had my weight up to 200 pounds, and I was pretty active. I wasn’t making it to the gym much. But this time of year that’s a blessing. There is nothing like a gym full of fat out of shape year end resolutions. I would rather be out on, or in the water. And I was. There may have been a lot of snow this season, but it’s been reasonably warm [upper 30’s]. I have been windsurfing, sailing, or surfing or a combination of two every weekend since October. That, and one night a week at the gym has been better exercise than a three days a week at the gym. And my god it is so much better for you; not just because it is the perfect cross training; but because it’s good for my soul.

I shoveled the boat on Saturday. The water was pretty free from ice. But it is supposed to hit the single digits the next two nights. I have re-assembled the ice board, and sharpened the blades. But we have had more snow this January than we are used too. It's turned whatever ice we do have into a lumpy mess. I heard they had good ice in Lavallette NJ two weeks ago, but by the time I found out about it, we were digging out of two feet of snow. [definitely not helping my shoulder]. The snow drift at the end of my driveway is 5 feet tall.

I has been awhile since my last windsurf session. I had one decent surf in early January: and one sail three weeks ago on Segue. Now she is iced in the harbor, and all this snow has made ice sailing impossible. So it’s been three weeks since I had some time on the water. We are definitely due a good session at something. I guess I should never have given up skiing. Can’t wait to sail, or surf again.

No comments: